The Inn was recently featured in Wrightsville Beach Magazine's May issue! Read the full article HERE.
An old fashioned Bed and Breakfast located in the heart of Hillsborough's Historic District with antique-filled rooms in a home atmosphere offering the charm of the quaint little village in the heart of the Triangle. Along with overnight accommodations, The Inn at Teardrops is available to host small weddings, receptions, reunions, and business meetings.
The Inn is located within 15 minutes of driving distance to Chapel Hill, Duke and Art Museums. Rates include deluxe continental breakfast served in the dining room. Rates subject to change. Sorry, no pets. Smoking is allowed only on the Veranda and Outside Grounds. Reservations guaranteed by advance deposit or credit card. 96 hour cancellation is required to receive refund or for credit card not to be charged.
Lot 18, on West King Street, has been associated with Inns off and on throughout its long history. Owned by Edmund Fanning until he sold it to Thomas King, an Inn keeper, in 1768. The main body of the present structure is probably King's old Inn. Notable eighteeth-century owner include General Thomas Person, Peter Malett, William Duffy and John Taylor, who was clerk of the Superior Court from 1800 to 1845.
In 1880 D.C. Parks acquired Lot 18 as well as Lot 15, and the Colonial Inn and turned all six buildings into the Occoneeche Hotel. During the early 1900s, the house served intermittently as an Inn and private residence. In 1938 the J.W. Richmond family bought the property and re-opened the house as a private residence. He later moved the old kicthen-dining room wing, which was separate from the property and reopened the house after extensive renovations, as that Inn at Teardrops, a bed and breakfast. The name comes from the teardrops shaped glass on the front doors and the molding around the eaves of the house.
Founded in 1754, Hillsborough is rich in history including over 100 standing 18th century buildings.